Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Road Back

I'll always be a runner. It is something that brings me great joy, challenges me and makes me feel human. When we decided to have a baby, I knew that my running would slow down and possibly even stop for a period of time. I ran until 28 weeks but didn't feel like pushing it past then. I probably could have run more but with the weather getting colder, my days at work feeling longer and my body getting bigger I turned off the running part of my life and switched to long walks.

I couldn't wait to run again. I missed it. I missed the feeling of doing a long run and having my body tired. I missed sweating. I missed having the ability to leave the house and pound out mile after mile. I missed running with a dog. Most of all I missed my friend Jaynie. Jaynie, the most reliable running partner and the best friend I could ever ask for. We ran our first marathon together (and several after), we ran a 50k together, and we tried a 50 miler. After her second child I ran with her to complete a half marathon and then a marathon. While I was growing a baby last year, Jaynie was still running marathons. I knew that for my running debut after baby, I wanted Jaynie to be there to help me finish.

My journey back to being a runner has been slow. A lot slower than I thought. My goal was to run a half marathon in Morgantown the first weekend in June. I started running three weeks after Ben was born a couple of miles at a time. I ran a few times a week, mostly on the rail trail with Tessa. I took Ben in the jogging stroller occasionally but more often relied on my wonderful husband to watch him as I snuck out between feedings. Slowly I tried to build up some miles. The first time I ran six I felt pretty good but then I ran 7 and it was awful. I did eight and then ten and started to feel better but not the same. I cheered myself on, ran with music and ran with Tessa. Slowly but surely I started feeling like a runner again.

Running after being pregnant is like running in a new body. I feel so much slower, heavier and mentally it is a challenge. Inside I know I can run longer distance but the reality of having a child make each run a little harder. I have to plan when I run, I don't run when I want to all the time and I am tired from being up at night feeding the cutest (and hungriest) baby ever. Along with running I've tried doing crossfit with some friends which has helped me gain some strength, but the road back to fitness has been a long one.

The half-marathon crept up on me. With the end of the school year, busy weekends and busier weeks suddenly it was time for me to run 13.1 miles. Jaynie drove down for the occasion and we started off together. It was a perfect day--the weather was beautiful, the trail was gorgeous and it was fantastic to spend time with one of my dearest friends. Of all of the races I've done thus far, this was one of the most special. I had a challenge I had to overcome and a great friend next to me. Every mile was perfect as the sun shone on us and with each mile my body began to remember how it felt to really run. The post baby marathon is next on the agenda for the fall and I'm looking forward to my new favorite part of a race--seeing my beautiful baby boy waiting for me at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment