Monday, September 5, 2011

A Kitchen Experiment

I love to cook but sometimes find it easy to get into a food rut. This week rather than meticulously planning my menu and organizing my list by grocery store section I instead bought a bunch of ingredients. I thumbed through the cookbook, Local Flavors, and browsed www.smittenkitchen.com for some ideas for common ingredients. My goal for the week is to embrace local ingredients from the bounty of the end of summer harvest. The following is what I ended up with and each day this week I will post what we had for dinner. One meal that was a non-negotiable is pizza on Friday--the rest is a surprise! Altogether our grocery bill was less than it normally is and I'm hopeful that I won't have to run back to the store. My goal is to use all the ingredients.

From the farmer's market:
2 lbs. breakfast sausage
2 dozen eggs
1 large eggplant
1 stalk Brussel sprouts
4 large colorful peppers
peaches
apple cider

From the local farm stand:
2 quarts green beans
onions
red potatoes
pears
apples
sweet corn
carrots
cabbage
sweet potatoes

From Tuscany (where we buy meat)
Italian sausage
4 Chicken Breasts

From Tops
Milk
sour cream
almonds
dill
parsley
chicken broth
coffee
1 lb. pasta
tomato paste
tomato sauce
mozzarella cheese
parmesean cheese
cheddar cheese
tomato soup

From Aunt Amy's garden
3 HUGE zucchinis
tomatoes


Today Andrew made a delicious frittata for brunch with sausage, tomatoes, parmesean, eggs, zucchini, and onions. For dinner we had grilled cheese and tomato soup--not very creative but it was cooler today and it has been a long time since we've had grilled cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment